December 8, 2011

Head for the Hills

Recently, I did a day long ride in the hills from Girona to the Mediterranean and back. The route took us down to Tossa de Mar and back over Les Gavarres to Els Angels. The ride was only 120 km but 80 of it were on dirt. In total, we accumulated roughly 2500 vertical metres of climbing. It was a great day out. Other than the climbing it was similar to many rides I did as a boy on the dirt roads north of Toronto.

8 Responses to “Head for the Hills”

• Posted by Neil | December 8, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Wow, that’s a road at 3:30? : ). Looks like it was a blast! Thanks for sharing.

• Posted by Alex | December 10, 2011 at 7:11 pm

New Team SKY training camp?
    Beats Calpe, and all the groupies.

• Posted by bikecellar | December 12, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Tossa de Mar is one of my fav holiday destinations, where do you stop for coffee? My wife and I have been over Els Angels to Girona and back on our tandem (on the road) great riding country.

• Posted by David Colomer | December 19, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Hello Michael, I’m from Girona, I would like to make the route Girona – Tossà – Girona with teanmates and de CX bikes. Is the route posted on a web? thanks you. Nice video!

• Posted by Michael Barry | December 19, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Hi David, The route isn’t on the web but I’ll try to get it for you. Cheers, Michael

• Posted by Brad Hawkins | January 2, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I love doing those kinds of rides! And let’s hear it for fenders on a group ride! Wonderful edit. Do you keep a special bike for these rides or is it the standard issue?

• Posted by Michael Barry | January 3, 2012 at 9:47 am

Thanks Brad. I have a Pinarello cyclocross bike with heavy touring tires and mudguards which I use on the dirt roads. There is a pic of it in one of my previous photos posts. Cheers, Michael

• Posted by Paul Grunt | January 12, 2012 at 5:19 am