November 21, 2011

Dirt

Away from traffic and deep in the countryside, riding on the dirt roads is a unique experience. In the province of Girona, Spain, where I live,  there is a large network of dirt roads which go through some incredible countryside. Each autumn, as I start training again after a short break, I try to discover some new roads and countryside on my cyclo-cross bike. My good friend Jordi Cantal, who is a local fireman, joins me on most of the rides. Like me, he is always hunting for new routes. A Catalan, he teaches me about the history of the area and their culture. The bike, a Pinarello, has mudguards, tough touring tires and lower gears than my standard training bike. The position is identical to my race bike. The video was taken on one ride: from Girona to Rocacorba-Mieres-Sant Aniol de Finestres-La Barroca-Amer-Pantano de Susqueda-Osor-Angels-Sant Gregori-Girona. Music: Mr.Rager by Kid Cudi.

21 Responses to “Dirt”

• Posted by alex. | November 21, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Beautiful stuff we love to hear about.
    Keep it up Michael.
    Cheers,

• Posted by Axel | November 21, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Did you drill holes in your frame for the fender mounts? If so, I *love* it!!

• Posted by Michael Barry | November 21, 2011 at 5:14 pm

No, the bike came with holes drilled in the forks/stays for the mudguards. I’ll post some more photos in the coming days. Cheers,
    Michael

• Posted by FredG | November 22, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Love how local knowledge seems to always be available amongst cyclists.
    Brilliant footage, look like our paved Quebec roads. Cool song !

• Posted by mark | November 25, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Another great video Michael, well done like looking and reading your articles. The lake looks lovely.

• Posted by makhloufi | November 25, 2011 at 6:34 pm

bravo pour votre parcourt sur de beau paysage catalan je suis moi méme d’origine kabyle je retrouve les mémes paysage que chez moi en kabylie d1coté la montagne et de l’autre la mer et je pratique le velo sur route en amateur bien sur mais d’experience sur route je trouve que avec 1 camera embarquer sur 1casque de velo les images sur la camera doive étre impresionnant en tout cas merci de faire partager vos images ET BONNE CHANCE,,,,,,??????????????????????????????

• Posted by greg mcnally | November 25, 2011 at 6:35 pm

hi. how have you attached front mudguards to the forks. is there a purpose built screw hole in the top. am trying to get a set for my cross bike but my forks havn t got a hole and cant find any decent long front guards

• Posted by Mark | November 25, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Whats the music? I like it…

• Posted by Jim | November 25, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Beautiful little film, again – cheers Michael

• Posted by Peter M | November 25, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Awesome vid, thanks for sharing

• Posted by greg mcnally | November 25, 2011 at 10:05 pm

sorry, just read previous replies reference guard mounts, and just ordered a set of clip on one any way. but since you may be reading this, why do pinarello call some bikes pina, some dogma etc?? and the obvious question what you think about cav on the team

• Posted by Michael Barry | November 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Hi Mark–the song is Mr.Rager by Kid Cudi. Cheers, Michael

• Posted by Michael Barry | November 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Hi Greg: The bike I’m riding in the video is a cyclo cross bike with eyelets for the mudguard stays. You can also buy clamps to hold the stays in place. Cheers, MIchael

• Posted by Alex | November 26, 2011 at 11:32 am

El olor del pasto en el monte, el silencio, el barro, etc., todo suma para una bella experiencia.
    Disfrutando…….., gracias.

• Posted by Tony Freeth | November 26, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Wow the old timers in the Rough Stuff Association would kill for this kind of route, Great vid quite fancy a trip to Girona.

• Posted by Fraser | November 26, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I love this kind of ride, although that looks a bit special. Great stuff

• Posted by Oli Brooke-White | November 29, 2011 at 10:59 am

Hi Michael, what an amazing video – great soundtrack and some hardcore action! I was wondering if you could tell me what tyres you use please? If not, just the size would be of interest. Cheers, Oli

• Posted by Michael Barry | November 29, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Hi Oli. I use 28 c touring tires. Anything with heavier rubber works well. Cheers, Michael

• Posted by brian | November 30, 2011 at 6:11 am

hey Michael, what type of camera are you using to capture video of your rides?

• Posted by Michael Barry | November 30, 2011 at 7:17 am

HI Brian: I use a GoPro camera which I mount on my handlebars or helmet. Best, Michael

• Posted by Martin (Sweden) | December 1, 2011 at 10:28 am

Sitting up in dark and grey Sweden and can just dream about these kind of roads and weather. As always a great video and just perfect music to go with it. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Cheers!