November 28, 2011

Autumn in Catalonia

The professional’s off-season–from November until January– is one of the most enjoyable periods in the year. We can ride for hours, socialise, and discover new places. We aren’t obsessed with watts, heart rate or speed.
As my training partner, David Millar, said in this recent piece, “It’s closed season, a time of the year where we can pretend to be club cyclists with no professional obligations.”
Since I began training after a short break at the end of the season, my good friend Jordi Cantal and I have found some nice dirt roads. The countryside in Catalonia in the autumn is beautiful which obviously makes the riding more enjoyable. Here are a few photos from some recent rides.I’ll post more in the coming days.[nggallery id=39]

6 Responses to “Autumn in Catalonia”

• Posted by Matthias | November 28, 2011 at 6:12 pm

your pics are so cool! keep posting! :) Matthias (Germany)

• Posted by Dougie Kerr | November 29, 2011 at 3:12 am

Have to admit M your gravel is better than the Zoo gravel…cool stuff…cheers the Wobbler

• Posted by charlie35slr | November 29, 2011 at 7:53 am

I love seeing these photos of Catalunya looking so verdant. I visit the Emporda every summer and pine for it when I’m not there. It would be interesting to know some of your routes (or are they a closely guarded secret?) so that I can follow in your footsteps while you are plying your trade elsewhere.

• Posted by Michael Barry | November 29, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Hi. My friend has been recording the routes with his gps so I will see if I can post them. Cheers. Michael

• Posted by bikecellar | December 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Hmm, yes inspiring, time to get the cross bike out methinks.

• Posted by Marian | February 1, 2012 at 4:42 pm

you write with beauty and passion…. so enjoyable….. ta lots :)